Awake Craniotomy – Multimedia
Welcome to Dr Khurana’s Multimedia pages.
Images shown here are with the permission of Dr Khurana’s patients, for educational purposes.
For a nice, brief educational video of awake craniotomy teamwork, click the VIDEO 4 link, below.
This page has information about the following:
- What is Dr Khurana’s experience with awake craniotomy patients?
- Includes publicly available information on some of Dr Khurana’s awake surgeries (tumours, cavernoma, venous aneurysm).
Please see our Awake Craniotomy page for information about the following:
- What is an awake craniotomy?
- Why is an awake craniotomy carried out? i.e., What is its main advantage?
- Is an awake craniotomy the right choice for me?
- Are there any disadvantages of awake craniotomy?
- Will I be in any pain during awake brain surgery? What can I expect?
What is Dr Khurana’s experience with awake craniotomy patients?
I was trained in neurosurgery and in awake craniotomy techniques at the world-renowned Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota USA (1996-2005), and subsequently undertook a year-long fellowship subspecialisation in brain microsurgery at the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix Arizona USA (2005-2006) under the pioneering neurosurgeon Dr Robert Spetzler.
I am one of a relatively small number of neurosurgeons worldwide who has a combination of expert training and experience in awake craniotomy techniques AND U.S. Fellowship training in brain microsurgery. I was the first neurosurgeon in Australia to publish their personal awake craniotomy operative series in the international peer-reviewed literature (2011), and also the first neurosurgeon in Australia to publish their personal microsurgical experience with fluorescence videoangiography during a variety of complex neurosurgical operations (2010)
I carry out any complex surgeries, including awake craniotomy, in conjunction with Neurological Surgery Victoria at the Epworth Hospital in Richmond, Melbourne.
Some of Dr Khurana’s relevant experience is presented here for educational purposes:
Miscellaneous / Other Topics: